I found a tortilla press on clearance and really wanted to try my hand at making tortilla chips! I was so shocked at how much better they tasted fresh and the recipe was so simple. Paired with some fresh guacamole.
Home Fried Tortilla Chips
• 3 1/2 Cups Masa
• 2 1/4 Cups warm water
• pinch of Salt and Garlic Powder
1. Mix all ingredients and wrap in plastic wrap; chill in the fridge for an hour.
2. Remove dough from fridge and roll into 1” balls. Line tortilla press with plastic sheet and press dough balls.
3. Heat skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Allow to reach reach 350°F and fry dough balls for 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oil and rest on paper towels for 10 minutes.
4. Slice the tortillas into 8 pieces and up the oil temperature until it reaches 400°F. Fry the chips until golden and crispy.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these!