I found a tortilla press on clearance and really wanted to try my hand at making tortilla chips! I was so shocked at how much better they tasted fresh and the recipe was so simple. Paired with some Chunky Guacamole and Cantina Salsa, it’s a definite crowd pleaser for a party or Taco night! For a lighter version, try them baked.
- 3 1/2 cups Masa Harina
- pinch of Salt and Garlic Powder
- 2 1/4 cups very warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Slowly pour in the water while mixing until a dough ball forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the fridge and roll into 1” balls. Line tortilla press with a plastic sheet and press the dough balls to your desired thickness.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add 1″ of oil. Allow it to get hot and fry the dough balls for 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oil and rest on paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Slice the tortillas into 8 pieces and increase the oil temperature until it reaches 400°F. Fry the chips until golden and crispy then drain on a cooling rack.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!