What an absolutely amazing staple to any kitchen! I used to buy pesto at my local store but it was insanely expensive. After making it the first time I realized just how simple it is to keep my kitchen stocked. It’s so easy and lasts in the fridge for 3 weeks and the freezer for 6 months. I put it on so many things and it makes a great dip for veggies. So good and so simple! You can also substitute half of the basil with parsley to save money and it adds a slight peppery flavor which goes well with pork or chicken.
A great method of storing your fresh made pesto is to freeze it in individual portions! Silicone molds work great or just your everyday ice cube trays.
Fresh Basil Pesto
• 4 cups fresh Basil; packed
• 5 Garlic Cloves
• 2/3 cup Olive Oil
• 1 cup Parmesan; grated
• 1 Tablespoon Salt
• 1/3 cup Pine Nuts or Blanched Almonds; toasted
1. Combine garlic, pine nuts, salt, Parmesan and basil in food processor and pulse. Slowly pour in olive oil until it forms a paste.
2. Scoop into mason jar and store in fridge for up to a month and a half.
3. Use in pasta dishes, Caprese Salad, on pizzas, salmon, chicken or as a dip for veggies!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!