What an amazing lunch! Homemade Tomato Pesto Soup is rich, creamy and makes for an amazing winter meal! If you can’t make homemade basil pesto, store bought will work, but fresh can’t be beat! You can also substitute the fresh tomatoes for 4 large cans of stewed tomatoes.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat and drizzle in the oil. Once heated, add the onions and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pesto, bay leaf, seasonings and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover, simmering for 40 minutes. Taste periodically and season accordingly.
- Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can pour the soup into an upright blender and pulse until smooth, then pour it back into the pot.
- Stir in cream and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with grilled cheese or garlic knots!