What an amazing lunch! Homemade Tomato Pesto Soup is rich, creamy and makes for an amazing winter meal! If you can’t make homemade basil pesto, store bought will work, but fresh can’t be beat! You can also substitute the fresh tomatoes for 4 large cans of stewed tomatoes. It can, unfortunately, leave a metallic aftertaste but it’s still very delicious!
Tomato Pesto Soup
• 3 lbs Fresh Tomatoes; seeded and chopped
• 1 small Onion; chopped
• 3 Garlic Cloves; minced
• 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
• 3 Tablespoon Fresh Pesto
• 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 2 Cups Chicken Broth
• 1 Cup Heavy Cream
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat dutch oven over medium high heat and add in oil. Once heated, add onions and sauté until tender.
2. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant before adding tomatoes, pesto, bay leaf, seasonings and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cover and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
3. Taste and season accordingly.
4. Remove bay leaf and use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can pour the soup into an upright blender then pour it back into the pot.
5. Stir in cream and allow to simmer 15 minutes.
6. Serve with grilled cheese or breadsticks!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!