Elk Chili Con Carne and Sweet Chile Cornbread for lunch! And dinner! And probably lunch again tomorrow! 🤣 It tastes even better the next day! 😍
Note: you can use ground beef or Italian sausage instead of elk, I just needed to clear some room in my freezer.
Elk Chili Con Carne
• 2 1/2 lbs Ground Elk Sausage
• 1 teaspoon Bacon Grease
• 1 large White Onion; chopped
• 1 large Bell Pepper; cored and chopped
• 3 cloves Garlic; finely minced
• 2 cans Crushed Tomatoes w/ Jalapeños
• 1 can Tomato Paste
• 1 can Chili Beans; drained
• 1 can Kidney Beans; drained
• 1 quart Beef Broth
• 1/4 cup Chili Powder
• 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne
• 1 Tablespoon Sugar
• 1 teaspoon Oregano; chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon Cilantro; chopped
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• Cheddar Cheese
• Raw Onion
• Green Onions or Chives
• Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
• Tortilla Chips, Fritos or Cornbread
1. Heat a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and brown elk sausage. Drain and set aside. Add bacon grease, onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender then add garlic; cooking until fragrant. Add elk back to the pot.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir, adding water if it isn’t the consistency you’d like. Taste for seasoning and cover.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 hours to allow the flavors to marry; stirring occasionally.
4. Taste and season accordingly then ladle into bowls. Add desired toppings and serve with cornbread or chips!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!