Elk Chili Con Carne and Sweet Chile Cornbread for lunch! And dinner! And probably lunch again tomorrow! 🤣 It tastes even better the next day! 😍
You can use ground beef or Italian sausage instead of elk, I just needed to clear some room in my freezer.
Elk Chili Con Carne
• 2 1/2 lbs Ground Elk Sausage
• 1 teaspoon Bacon Grease
• 1 large White Onion; chopped
• 1 large Bell Pepper; cored and chopped
• 3 cloves Garlic; finely minced
• 2 cans Crushed Tomatoes w/ Jalapeños
• 1 can Tomato Paste
• 1 can Chili Beans; drained
• 1 can Kidney Beans; drained
• 1 quart Beef Broth
• 1/4 cup Chili Powder
• 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne
• 1 Tablespoon Sugar
• 1 teaspoon Oregano; chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon Cilantro; chopped
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• Cheddar Cheese
• Raw Onion
• Green Onions or Chives
• Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
• Tortilla Chips, Fritos or Cornbread
- Heat a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat and brown elk sausage. Drain and set aside. Add bacon grease, onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender then add garlic; cooking until fragrant. Add elk back to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir, adding water if it isn’t the consistency you’d like. Taste for seasoning and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 hours to allow the flavors to marry; stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season accordingly then ladle into bowls. Add desired toppings and serve with cornbread or chips!