These bread bowls are amazing! They’re great sliced and buttered or filled with a delicious soup! The starter takes some work, but it’s well worth it. I tried to make a rainbow loaf and it didn’t turn out very vibrant. Those green patches are definitely edible. lol!
- Place starter, flour, sugar, herbs, salt, water and oil in a large bowl. Mix loosely to form a shaggy dough and cover with a damp towel. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 6 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Place in a greased bowl and cover, proofing until doubled in size; about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and turn out onto the floured surface once more. Knead briefly and dust with flour. Allow to rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place a cast iron Dutch oven on the center rack and allow to heat up for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven and layer parchment paper inside using thick kitchen gloves. Carefully place the dough in the center and score the top. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid and bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!