Day 23 of my 8 week #PantryChallenge
Switched things up a bit. I noticed a significant difference in my energy level, attitude and weight over the last month. While I had frozen vegetables on hand as well as cabbage, beets, carrots, etc. my body craved fresh, crisp greens. It just goes to show just how IMPORTANT they are! I normally eat salads with dinner, but with this challenge the leafy greens were the first to go. My body has very succinctly told me that’s no longer an option. So, I spent $3 last night on a small avocado, large cucumber and head of lettuce. Worth it! 😂
California Maki Roll
Servings: 2 Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Eel Sauce
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- Sushi Rice
- 1 cup Sushi Rice
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Nori Sheets
- 6 Imitation Crab Sticks
- 1/2 cup Carrots; shredded
- 1/2 cup Cucumber; shredded
- 1 small avocado; sliced
- In a small saucepan, add the eel sauce ingredients, minus the fish sauce and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch and fish sauce together in a small bowl and pour the slurry into to saucepan, stirring until the sauce thickens. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Add the rice to a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. Add it and the remaining sushi rice ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Scoop into a bowl and cover with a damp towel. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, line a sushi mat with plastic wrap; wrapping 3 times and folding the excess over the top and bottom. Set an addition 12 inch piece of plastic wrap to the side and fill a small dish with warm water.
- Dip your fingers in the water and spread about 1 cup of rice onto the sushi mat in an even layer slightly larger than the Nori sheet.
- Add the Nori, shiny side up, and top with a thin layer of rice. Layer 1/3 of the imitation crab, cucumber, carrots and avocado. Roll the sushi roll tightly and place in the center of the plastic wrap you’d set aside. Repeat with the other 2 rolls.
- Run a sharp knife under water and slice the rolls into 8 even pieces. Remove the plastic wrap from each segment and roll in your desired toppings. Drizzle with eel sauce and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!