This was my first time breaking down a whole crab. It was way easier than I thought it’d be! This broth is so delicious and makes a great base for seafood stews, chowders and soups.
- 2 pounds Seafood “leftovers” (bones, shells, skin and heads)
- 2 large Onions; quartered
- 2 heads of Garlic; smashed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Dill Weed
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 2 liberal pinches of salt
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Throw everything in a large pot or Dutch Oven.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 5-8 hours.
- Pour the broth through a strainer into a large mason jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for 3 months.