This was my first time making meatballs using meat I ground myself! Frying them before finishing them in the oven is definitely the way to go. They’re crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Be sure to add orange zest as a garnish because it ratchets the flavor to 10!
Orange Glazed Rosemary Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pound Pork Butt; cubed
- 1/4 pound Bacon Fat; cubed
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Rosemary; chopped
- 1 clove Garlic; minced
- 1/4 cup Onion; chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan; grated
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 large Oranges; zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary; finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cloves Garlic; finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- In large bowl, combine the meatball ingredients. Cover and rest in fridge for 30 minutes. Feed the pork mixture through a meat grinder and form into 2″ meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add a drizzle of oil to a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pan fry the meatballs until browned on all sides and place the skillet in the oven. Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the glaze ingredients, minus the cornstarch. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Pour the slurry into the sauce and whisk until thickened.
- Add the meatballs to a large bowl and pour the sauce over top. Toss to coat, then serve over rice.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!