Boudin is, by far, my favorite sausage! 💕 The Cajun spices give it so much flavor! Couldn’t find any collard greens, so steamed Napa cabbage and crumbled bacon it is! Plus some Red Beans and Rice! All that’s missing is the Beignets! ❤️ I couldn’t find any collard greens, so steamed cabbage it is! Some hard boiled eggs and buttermilk biscuits made for a nice pre-Thanksgiving meal! If you’ve never had Boudin, you’re seriously missing out!
Louisiana Cajun Boudin
• 2 lbs pork roast; cubed
• 2/3 lb bacon ends; cubed
• 1/2 lb pork liver; cubed
• 1/2 C onion; diced
• 1/2 C bell pepper; diced
• 1 celery stalk; diced
• 4 garlic cloves; minced
• 1 tsp red pepper flake
• 3 tbsp Cajun seasoning
• Generous pinch of salt
• 2 tbsp green onion; diced
• 1 C Medium grain rice; uncooked
1. Mix everything but rice in a large bowl. Cover and place in fridge 3-24 hours.
2. Place pork mixture in pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1-3 hours.
3. Strain filling using slotted spoon and place on sheet pan to cool.
4. Ladle 2 cups of broth mixture into saucepan. Add rice and bring to boil, reduce to simmer until cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Meanwhile, grind cooked pork mixture into large bowl and mix in rice.
6. Fill casings, making sure to not overfill, and twist tightly every 6” until all of the pork rice mixture is used.
7. Smoke, steam, grill, sauté or bake until cooked through.