So…I messed up. I added too much liquid to my rice and it turned to mush. I hate wasting food and set out to find a way to use it. I figured if potato croquettes were so delicious, what about Fried Rice Balls! Yes, they were!
Crispy Fried Rice Balls
- 2 cups mushy Fried Rice (oops!)
- 1 large Egg; whisked
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 2 large Eggs; whisked
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Oil for frying
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons Spicy Chinese Mustard
- In a large bowl, add the fried rice and egg, mixing until incorporated. Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to form 2” balls. Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and freeze for 18 minutes or until firm.
- Set up 3 deep bowls and add the rice flour, 2 eggs and panko to each. Season all of the bowls with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the fried rice balls in the rice flour, then the egg and lastly the panko. Carefully add the balls to the skillet and fry until golden brown and heated through; about 6 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with spicy Chinese mustard and soy sauce!
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!