I almost always put Italian sausage and ground beef in my lasagna. Alas, I didn’t have any on hand. Apparently I was also out of mozzarella. Cheddar Jack it is! It was pretty stinking good!
- 4 cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 ½ cups Ricotta
- 2 extra large Eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Herbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 large Zucchini; shredded or chopped
- 10 Lasagna Noodles; parboiled and drained
- 2 cups Cheddar jack Cheese
- In a cast iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add onion, zucchini and garlic. Sauté until tender then add tomatoes, herbs and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce until smooth and cover; simmering for at least 45 minutes and up to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta filling ingredients. Stir until well incorporated then cover and place in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 9×9” baking dish, ladle some of the sauce over the bottom and add a third of the noodles over top. Scoop half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and spoon in more marinara. Repeat the layers until all the noodles are used and top with cheddar jack cheese.
- Cover and place in the oven, cooking for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!
One thought on “Quick Meatless Lasagna”