I had a couple of people ask for the Zucchini Pie recipe I made the other day. It was really stinking good! Be sure to thoroughly salt the zucchini before resting. This draws the excess moisture out of the squash so it doesn’t make the crust soggy. The added layer of cheese on the bottom also helps.
Air Fryer Zucchini Cheddar Pie
• 1 Pie Shell (homemade or store bought works!)
• 2 Zucchini Squash
• 1 small Onion; thinly sliced
• 2 Garlic Cloves; finely minced
• 3 Tablespoons Butter
• 2 Tablespoons Flour
• 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
• 1/4 Cup Parmesan; grated
• 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar; grated
• 1 Tablespoon Italian Herbs
• 2 teaspoons Salt
• 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
• 1/2 Cup Mild Cheddar; grated
1. Thinly slice one of the Zucchini and grate the other. Place on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow to rest for 30-35 minutes then use another paper towel to dab off the excess moisture.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees and blind bake pie shell in tart pan; 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat butter in skillet and allow to melt. Add in onions and sauté until tender then add in garlic; sautéing until fragrant.
4. Add flour to start a roux; stirring constantly until golden brown. Slowly pour in milk and whisk until thickened. Stir in cheese, grated Zucchini and seasonings. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and pour mixture into pie shell. Layer the sliced Zucchini over top. Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack. Remove from oven and add the mild cheddar cheese. If the crust is getting too cooked, cover it with foil; this will keep it from burning. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and the filling is bubbling at the sides.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes on wire rack before removing the tart pan.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!