This week’s assignment is a doozy! Buttermilk biscuits, buttermilk pancakes and blueberry muffins. I knew that I wanted to make extra biscuits so I could make this dish! It’s one of my absolute favorites! Think chicken pot pie with buttery, flaky biscuits! So delicious!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Season the chicken and sauté until cooked through; remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the skillet. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, then add the chicken back in along with the broth, herbs and spices. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the dry biscuit ingredients into a large bowl and cut in the chilled butter. Create a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Mix until just incorporated, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin and not your hands, roll out the dough and fold it over itself 5 times. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Whisk the slurry into the skillet and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat and transfer the filling to an oven-safe pan if needed.
- Roll the dough to ½” thickness. Using a biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut out 12 biscuits and place them over the chicken mixture. Brush the tops with the melted butter and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the the biscuits have risen and are golden brown and flaky.
- Cool for 5 minutes then enjoy!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!