I made empanadas for the first time! They were really stinking good so I’m definitely going to have to make them again. I filled them with pork carnitas and Monterey Jack cheese. Next time I want to try a sweet version.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Rub the pork shoulder with the spices and sear on all sides. Place the pork, orange juice and vegetables in an InstaPot or pressure cooker.
- Cook, at pressure, for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Shred the meat and spread the filling in an even layer on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge until cold.
- Preheat oil to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the salt into the warm water until dissolved and sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the lard to the bowl and blend through the flour. Mix in the water and knead until a smooth dough forms. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Portion the dough into 15 equal sized balls and, using a rolling pin, flatten each ball into a disk. Mix the cheese into the carnitas and place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of the disk.
- Lightly brush the edges with water and fold the dough over on itself, pinching the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Fry the empanadas until golden brown and crispy.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!