I had a lot of gravy leftover from dinner the other night and I wondered how it would go if I used it instead of the white sauce in potatoes au gratin. It was a hit! Any gravy will work, but this time I used roast chicken gravy.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with water so they don’t turn brown and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, sauté the onions until translucent. Add the Garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Add the leftover gravy along with 1 cup of cheese and whisk until heated through. Taste and season accordingly.
- Ladle 1/4 cup of the gravy onto the bottom of a casserole dish. Add a layer of potatoes over the gravy and top with cheese and ham. Repeat the layer until all the gravy is used or the dish is full.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cover with foil, baking for 1 hour or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling around the edges.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Looking for a Main Dish? Try one of these recipes!