We’ve finally started protein in class and I’m so excited! This was hands down the juiciest chicken with the most amazing crispy skin. It’s so herbaceous with just the right amount to garlic.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Remove the gizzards and neck from the bird and pat dry, inside and out.
- Using your fingers, separate the skin from the meat and add half of the compound butter under the skin. Pat down into an even layer and truss the chicken. Slather the remaining butter over the skin and season with salt and pepper inside and outside of the bird.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery to the bottom of a baking sheet and place a rack over top. Settle the chicken on the rack and bake, uncovered for 15 minutes or until the skin starts to turn golden brown.
- Reduce the temperature to 325°F and continue to bake for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Be sure to check it after 20 minutes to make sure it’s browning evenly. Turn it if one side is getting darker than the other.
- Remove the chicken and tent with foil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until golden brown before pouring in the broth. Continue to whisk until all the lumps are gone and the gravy has thickened, then taste and season accordingly.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the gravy.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!