I found some long lost tortillas in the freezer that were too stiff to make enchiladas with. So, I made chicken enchilada casserole instead! It also meant that I could use up the chile pork stock I saved from the last time I made enchiladas. Win win!
- Add the chicken filling ingredients to an InstaPot and cook, at pressure, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Ladle 1 cup of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of an oven safe baking dish. Cut the tortillas in half and layer them over the enchilada sauce, making sure the straight edges are up against the edge of the dish so there isn’t a gap.
- Using tongs, add half of the chicken over the tortillas and ladle 1 cup of enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle half of the cotija cheese over the sauce and top with more tortillas.
- Repeat this step one more time and ladle the last cup of enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle with the Mexican blend cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and the edges are bubbling. For a crispier crust, remove the foil and bake an additional 5-8 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before adding the garnishes and serving.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!