I wanted to make an Italian chicken dish that didn’t have much dairy in it. This really hit the spot! I made cinnamon candied carrots, sautéed mushrooms and green beans to go with it. I got a thumbs up for dinner!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the herbs and fennel seeds in a herb grinder and pulse until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, ground herbs, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Pull the skin away from the meat without fully removing.
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the butter and press into a smooth layer over the meat. Place the skin over top and cover the rest of the thigh in the herb butter. Place in a skillet or baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt. Sauté the onions and tomatoes until tender before adding in the garlic. Continue to cook until fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the cornstarch until evenly distributed, then pour in the broth and cream. Briefly bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer; whisking occasionally. Once thickened, remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Serve the chicken with a healthy scoop of the gravy.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!