Taco Monday, Hawaiian style! Chicken Huli Huli Tacos with Pineapple Pico de Gallo and Wasabi Mayo. I thought I’d made way too much Hawaiian Mac Salad, but it vanished. You can bake, grill or cook the chicken in a slow cooker if you don’t have a smoker, but I strongly recommend smoking it.
- 2 large Chicken Breasts
- 9 White Corn Tortillas
- 1/4 cup Wasabi Mayo
- Huli Huli Sauce:
- ⅓ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Apple Cider (or white) Vinegar
- ½ cup Pineapple Juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh Ginger; grated
- 3 cloves Garlic; finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Pineapple Pico De Gallo:
- ½ cup Tomato; cored and chopped
- ⅓ Red Cabbage; shredded
- ½ cup Pineapple Chunks
- ⅓ cup Onion; chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro (or Parsley)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl, mix the Huli Huli sauce ingredients, minus the cornstarch and pineapple juice. Pour half of sauce into a small saucepan and add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining marinade. Cover and chill overnight.
2. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until thickened. Transfer to a sealed bowl or sauce bottle and chill until the chicken is ready to cook.
3. After the chicken has marinaded, heat a smoker or grill to medium (350°F) heat. Smoke the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165°F; about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, cover and rest for 5 minutes before chopping.
4. Meanwhile, add the tortillas to the grill, heating until soft and slightly charred. Place the tortillas in a tortilla warmer or wrap in foil.
5. Mix the Pineapple Pico de Gallo ingredients in a bowl and assemble the tacos.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!