I’ve never had legitimate Chicken and Waffles before. I tried it once with frozen chicken tenders and pre-mixed waffle batter and wasn’t impressed. Making it from scratch is definitely the way to go! The smoked paprika and maple syrup went really well together!
- Beat the butter, cinnamon and maple syrup in a small bowl until light and airy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry waffle ingredients; making sure not to over-mix the batter, you want to see small lumps. Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium heat. Once hot, spritz the waffle iron with oil and pour in the batter, cooking according to the device’s instructions.
- For the chicken: whisk the egg in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Sift the flour, peppers, garlic powder, salt and black pepper into another. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot enough that a wooden spoon bubbles when dipped in the oil, dredge the chicken through the flour mixture, then the egg, back in the flour, in the egg mixture one last time and finally back in the flour making sure it’s well coated.
- Gently place the chicken in the skillet so you don’t risk burning yourself and fry until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F; about 8-10 minutes.
- Place the chicken and bacon between the waffles, top with the butter mixture and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!