Waste not, want not. I had some leftover Bacon Broccoli Cheddar Soup from last night, cooked chicken from the Fiesta Salad and cream cheese from the Rangoons that I needed to use. Sounds like casserole time! I love casseroles because you can throw in darn near anything and everything.
Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 Minutes
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- 1/2 cup Onion; chopped
- 1/4 cup Celery; chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic; minced
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 cup Carrot; peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- Pinch of Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Bacon; cooked & chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 cups Rice; cooked
- 1 cup Chicken Breast; cooked and chopped
- 1 cup French Onions
- Bring a medium pot with 1” water and a steamer basket to a boil. Steam the carrots and broccoli until tender; about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the bacon grease to a dutch oven over medium heat. Once the grease has melted, sauté the onions and celery until tender. Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated and golden brown. Whisk in the broth and then add the bacon and steamed vegetables. Stir in the seasonings and bring the a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stir in the cream, cream cheese, rice and chicken before adding in the cheddar 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until melted before adding more. Taste and season accordingly. Scoop into a casserole dish and top with the French onions. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!