There is no price comparison when it comes to canned black beans and homemade. They’re so much richer in flavor and they’re not as hard as you think to make. You can also cook these in an InstaPot or slow cooker, but I prefer them on the stovetop. ❤️ Cooking them with broth instead of water adds an amazing depth of flavor!
Homemade Black Beans
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 2 1/2 to 3 Hours
- 1 cup dried Black Beans
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup White Onion; chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic; minced
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 1 Tablespoon Ancho Chile Powder
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Heat a pot over high heat and add the black bean ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (or until the beans are tender), stirring occasionally and checking to make sure the beans are covered with broth. If the broth level gets too low add an additional 1/2 cup and continue to simmer.
- Once the beans are cooked, taste and season to your tastes.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!