Day 20 of my 8 week #PantryChallenge
Tonight’s dinner is the most simplified version I could make of the only thing that my brain and stomach seem to agree on at the moment. Beefy Fritos Burritos! Except I didn’t have any Fritos…or Queso… So I cut some corn tortillas into strips and mixed some cheese with sour cream and spices.
- Add the rice, rotel and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender; about 20 minutes. Season with salt, mix in the cheese and sour cream, then cover with the lid and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and brown the beef. Drain and add the taco seasoning and water, mixing until well combined. Using a potato masher, mash the beef until it resembles the fine textured taco meat served at Taco Bell. Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Add the corn tortilla strips to an air fryer rack and spritz with oil. Season with salt and onion powder, then air fry for 2 ½ minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Heat a small saucepan with 2” of water over medium-high heat and add a glass bowl over the top to make a double boiler. Add the cheese sauce ingredients to the bowl and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Lay out a tortilla and spread a layer of the cheesy sauce. Scoop some of the rice and beef over top and add a generous handful of tortilla chips. Tightly wrap the burrito, starting at the sides, then rolling the bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Firmly roll the burrito away from you until sealed and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!