Day 8 of the 8 week #PantryChallenge
Breakfast for dinner! I wanted something a little lighter because I know I’m going to double in mass tomorrow. Did anyone else grow up eating Fried Cornmeal Mush with maple syrup and fried eggs?
The whole pan set me back 20¢ and it makes 4-5 servings. I make it the night before, then toss it in flour and briefly pan fry it. It’s one of my favorite struggle meals!
And yes, I eat baked beans on toast.
Fried Cornmeal Mush
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Water; room temp
- 1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Water; cold
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Bring a pot with the room temperature water to a boil and season with the salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, cold water, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling water and reduce the heat to medium-low; stirring constantly until thickened.
- Line a baking sheet or loaf pan with parchment paper and scoop in the corn mixture; spreading so it’s even. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge from 20 minutes to overnight.
- The next morning, heat a skillet over medium heat and add a pad of butter or bacon grease. Slice the Mush into 1/2” strips, toss lightly in flour and fry until golden brown and heated through. Plate and add a drizzle of maple syrup.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!