The side dish from day 4 of my #pantrychallenge
The Old Bay Onions Rings I made as a midnight snack last night and the side for the Baked Buffalo Drumsticks! I was concerned that the Sprite would make them too sweet, but I was so wrong. They were so stinking good! It fried up as light as tempura and was packed with flavor. I also included my Bloomin’ Onion Sauce. I still have some of the batter left so I’m going to toss in some chicken!
- Soak the onion slices in ice water to loosen the membrane on the inside of the ring. Peel off the thin layer and pat dry.
- Heat a large dutch oven filled half full with a high smoke point oil to 350°F.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and soda in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until light and fluffy, then fold into the batter.
- Toss the onion slices briefly in the 1 cup flour and add to the batter. Once coated, carefully add the ring to hot oil and cook until golden brown; about 2 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the onion rings to a paper towel or a wire rack to drain. Sprinkle with Old Bay Seasoning and serve with Bloomin’ Onion Sauce.
Looking for a Main Dish? Try one of these recipes!