The side dish from day 4 of my #pantrychallenge
The Old Bay Onions Rings I made as a midnight snack last night and the side for the Baked Buffalo Drumsticks! I was concerned that the Sprite would make them too sweet, but I was so wrong. They were so stinking good! It fried up as light as tempura and was packed with flavor. I also included my Bloomin’ Onion Sauce. I still have some of the batter left so I’m going to toss in some chicken!
- 1 large Onion; sliced and separated
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 cups Sprite (or Club Soda)
- oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl (minus the Old Bay Seasoning) mix and create a well in the center. Slowly whisk in the soda, making sure not to overmix. It should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Fold in the onions until they’re fully coated, then place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet with oil to 360°F. Place the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil, if it bubbles, you’re good to go!
- Add the onions in small batches and fry until golden brown, flipping to fry the other side once. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer them to a paper towel or a wire rack to drain.
- Sprinkle with Old Bay Seasoning and serve with Bloomin’ Onion Sauce.
Looking for a Main Dish? Try one of these recipes!