Day 7 of my 8 week #PantryChallenge No eating out, no take-out and no new groceries. Another part of this challenge is to stop food waste in my kitchen. I was supposed to make Baked Bean Burgers today, but had some chicken breasts, cauliflower and leftover Sprite Batter in my fridge that I needed to use before I had to toss it. It’s the last of my fresh cauliflower, which makes me sad, but it was sooo stinking good! Copycat P.F. Chang’s Crispy Honey Chicken (+walnuts), Sweet & Sour Veggies and Loaded Fried Rice is what’s for dinner!
Copycat P.F. Chang’s Crispy Honey Chicken
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 2 large Chicken Breasts; cubed
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 cups Sprite (or Club Soda)
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and whisk together the sauce ingredients, minus the water and cornstarch, until the sugar and honey dissolve. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the chicken is done frying.
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven with 1” of oil over medium heat until the oil reaches 360F.
- Meanwhile, combine the batter in a large bowl and add the chicken. Fry the chicken in batches, making sure not to overcrowd the pan, until golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the oil and drain on a paper towel or wire rack.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water, then add the slurry to the saucepan and increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk until the sauce has thickened. Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour in the sauce. Toss to coat and serve garnished with sesame seeds and green onions.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!