I was craving Lasagna, but I made way too much of it. I can finally make my Leftover Lasagna Stuffed Peppers again! And word of the wise, kids love lasagna and sneaking veggies into the sauce is so easy!
- In a cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat add the onion, bell pepper, beef, Italian sausage and minced garlic. Cook until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender. Use a slotted spoon to scoop into a large bowl and set aside.
- Drain the excess fat from the dutch oven and add the tomatoes, half of the Italian Herbs, Basil, seasoning and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce until smooth and add the meat back in. Cover and simmer on low heat for at least 45 minutes and up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and season accordingly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, the remaining herbs, seasoning and half of the Parmesan and mozzarella. Stir until well incorporated, then cover and place in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a baking dish, ladle some of the sauce over the bottom and add a third of the noodles over top. Scoop half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and spoon in more of the marinara. Repeat the layers until all the noodles are used and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the lasagna is bubbling around the edges.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!