I love cooking with my mom! Tonight was Salisbury steaks, steamed broccoli and Garlic Parmesan Bubble Bread. She made the creamy mashed potatoes and corn. She always makes the best mashed potatoes!
This dish is incredible on winter night’s when it’s chilly outside. It’s a hearty, ‘stick to your ribs’ meal that kids and adults love! You can, of course, remove the mushrooms and add more onions and it’s still incredibly delicious.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the steak ingredients and mix until well combined. Form into 6 patties and flatten in your palm to 1/2” thickness. Then, use your thumb to create a divot in the center. (This helps the patties to cook more evenly)
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the patties and sear on both sides.
- Remove the patties from the skillet but leave the drippings. Add in the butter, onions and mushrooms, sautéing until tender, then add in the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper before bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the heavy cream. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tapioca or cornstarch with the water; whisking until combined.
- Pour the slurry into the gravy and add the beef patties back to the skillet. Flip once to coat and then cover, allowing everything to simmer for 10 minutes before serving over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!