I spent the day processing cookbook orders and the time got away from me. Dinner is finally served! I decided to use the flatbread I made yesterday for Gyros. I highly recommend making your Tzatziki sauce! It makes all the difference. There were 4, but one didn’t make it past the stove.
Servings: 4 Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- 2 cloves Garlic; grated
- 1 small Onion; grated
- 1 Tablespoon Greek Seasoning (Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dill, Oregano & Basil)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Tzatziki Sauce
- 4 loaves fresh Flatbread or Pita Bread
- 2 cups chopped Lettuce
- 1 large Tomatoes; sliced
- 1 small Onion (Red Onion preferred); sliced
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, lamb, onion, garlic, herbs and seasonings. Using an immersion blender, blend the meat mixture until smooth. Press into a self-draining meatloaf pan or foil lined baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135°F.
- Remove the meat mixture from the pan and wrap it in foil. Place the foil wrapped meat on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Heat the flatbread briefly on both sides and place on a plate, then cover with a damp paper towel and foil so they don’t dry out.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the griddle or skillet and cut the meat into 1/4” thick slices. Sear both sides of each slice and divide them evenly amongst the flatbread. Top with the lettuce, tomato, onion and Tzatziki sauce. Wrap in parchment paper or serve as is with fries or Greek Potatoes.