I decided to try something new as a side dish this Labor Day. I was in the middle of baking a Strawberry Rhubarb pie when the idea to create a bacon lattice top for a mashed potato dish would be not only delicious, but also a bit of a show stopper! It really didn’t disappoint. I’m definitely adding this to my list of go-to holiday, cookout and potluck side dishes!
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Braid the bacon into a lattice and place on a baking sheet with a wire rack. Bake until almost crispy, about 12 minutes, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of liberally salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender; about 15 minutes.
- Drain and add the cream cheese, ¼ cup cheddar, butter, green onion, garlic, bacon crumbles and seasonings. Mash thoroughly and scoop into a baking dish. Top with the remaining 2 cups of cheddar and the latticed bacon.
- Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. Or until the bacon is crispy.
- Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!