I had several requests for this recipe, but needed to type it up. The drawback of just throwing stuff together is that you have to try and remember measurements. 😆 I doubled the bacon in the recipe below because I think it needed more. It is bacon after all! More is definitely more!
Jalapeño Popper Scalloped Potatoes
Servings: 8 Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 3 large Russet Potatoes; peeled and sliced
- 8 slices of thick cut Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
- 1/2 cup Onion; chopped
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 3 large Jalapeños; cored and chopped
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar
- Peel and slice the potatoes then place in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F and place bacon on a baking sheet lined with a wire rack. Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy. Chop and set aside; reserving the grease.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon grease from the baking sheet and the additional tablespoon of grease. Add the onion and sauté until translucent before sprinkling in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and then slowly pour in the milk, whisking until thickened. Add the jalapeños, cheeses and seasonings. Spread 1/4 cup of the mixture over the bottom of a baking dish and remove the potatoes from the water, layering over the cheese mixture. Continue the layers until the baking dish is full and top with the remaining Cheddar.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Allow the dish to cool for 15 minutes before serving. It’ll be HOT!
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!