I love breakfast for dinner. 🤣 Eggs, sausage and croissants are amazing at all hours of the day or night. It was a major hit for everyone! I’ve been extra exhausted lately so I used store-bought dough because making laminated dough is a pain and a half.
Sausage Egg and Pepper Croissant Braid
• 2 packages Croissant Dough
• 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
• 1 pound Breakfast Sausage
• 1/2 cup Bell Pepper; chopped
• 1/4 cup Red Onion; chopped
• 1/4 cup Tomatoes; cored and diced
• 1/4 cup Mushrooms
• 1 clove Garlic; finely minced
• 6 large Eggs
• Splash of Milk
• Pinch of Ground Sage and Garlic Powder
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1 large Egg; whisked for egg wash
1. In a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat add sausage and brown until cooked through; scoop out and set aside. Then add vegetables to the skillet; sautéing until tender. Scoop into a small bowl and set aside with the sausage.
2. Add a tablespoon of bacon grease or oil to the skillet over medium heat and allow to get hot. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper; whisking well. Once the pan is hot, pour in eggs and scramble until half set. Remove the skillet from heat.
3. Preheat oven to 400° F.
4. Line a baking pan or dish with parchment paper and unroll croissants; pinching the edges and seams together until you have one solid sheet. Cut a third of the way up the sheet every 1/2-1” on either side.
5. Add half of the cheese along the center, uncut dough. Scoop the eggs, veggies, sausage and remaining cheese over top and fold the sliced dough over top in a cris-cross pattern.
6. Brush the top with egg wash and place in oven; bake for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown and flaky.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!