I had several people over various groups ask me for my recipe for Green Bean and Corn Casserole. You can substitute the homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup for the canned variety if are short on time. I kinda always thought that green bean casserole was missing a sweet element, so I tossed in a can of Sweet Corn and the bacon grease adds some smokiness.
- 2 cans Green Beans
- 1 can Sweet Corn
- ¼ cup Cheddar
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Onion; finely minced
- 1 lb Mushrooms; finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic; finely minced
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- French Fried Onions
- In a large skillet add grease and butter over medium heat. Add in onions and mushrooms; sautéing until tender. Add in garlic, cooking until fragrant before sprinkling in flour. Cook the roux until slightly browned then slowly whisk in milk. Continue to whisk until thickened then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine canned vegetables and cheddar then slowly stir in mushroom roux; folding everything together.
- Spoon into a baking dish and cover, baking for 15 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and take off the foil. Sprinkle with French Onions and place back in the oven for 10 minutes or until the topping is golden and extra crispy.
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!