Speed round! I only had an hour and a half before work and I really really wanted Huli Huli Chicken and Sweet Rice. Aloha! 🏖 I much prefer this dish grilled versus baked. The delicious char adds an amazing nuanced flavor that you just can’t get in the oven. If you’re grilling it, simply cook the rice and vegetables together with all the other yummy seasonings and toss the chicken on the grill cranked up to medium-high heat for 20 minutes, flipping once. Baste with the sauce and voila, dinner’s done! It makes for one heck of a Luau, even on the lower 48.
Skillet Huli Huli Chicken & Sweet Rice
Huli Huli Sauce
- ⅓ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Pineapple Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh Ginger; grated
- 3 cloves Garlic; finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Water
- 2 pounds Chicken Thighs; bone-in
- 1 cup Medium Grain Rice
- ½ cup Carrots; peeled and chopped
- ½ cup Bell Peppers; chopped
- ½ cup Onion; chopped
- ½ cup Tomato; cored and chopped
- Drizzle of Sesame Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- Drizzle of Citrus Aioli (optional)
- In a medium bowl, add the Huli Huli sauce ingredients, minus the cornstarch and water, then whisk until combined. Pour half of it into a small saucepan and place the chicken in the bowl with the remaining marinade. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, add the rice, vegetables, seasoning and broth then toss to incorporate all of the ingredients. Remove the chicken from the marinade and nestle it into the rice.
- In a small dish, whisk the cornstarch and water, then pour the slurry into the Huli Huli sauce. Continue to whisk until thickened and add a liberal drizzle over the chicken; reserving a small amount to glaze after baking.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!