I had a weird craving for Hamburger Helper! It takes just as long to make as the boxed variety and it’s so much fresher! The veggies really make this dish and you can chop them up very finely if you have finicky kids. They’ll never know!
Homemade Hamburger Helper
• 1 lb Ground Beef
• 1/2 cup Onion; finely chopped
• 1/2 cup Bell Pepper; finely chopped
• 2 cloves Garlic; finely minced
• 2 cups Pasta of choice
• 1 can Tomato Soup
• 1 cup Milk
• 1 1/2 cups Beef Broth
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add in the beef, onion, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté until the beef is cooked through and veggies are tender, then drain. Place back on the burner and add in the remaining ingredients, sans the cheese. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover; cooking for 12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Fold in the cheese and cover, cooking until melted and gooey. If the sauce is still too loose, you can whisk 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 2 teaspoons cold water together in a small bowl and add to the skillet, stirring until thickened and creamy.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!