Happy Friday! Supreme Calzone and Cheese Bombs for dinner! I won’t post my pizza dough recipe because I posted it a while back. The fresh Ricotta Cheese makes this a little slice of heaven!
• Pizza dough; proofed
• 1/2 cup Marinara
• 1/2 cup Mozzarella
• 1 cup Ricotta
• 1/2 cup Parmesan
• 1 lb Pepperoni
• 1/2 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
• 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1/2 cup Bell Pepper; chopped
• 1/2 cup Red Onion; chopped
• 1/2 cup Tomato; diced
• 1/2 cup Mushrooms: sliced
• 2 Garlic Cloves; minced
• 1/4 cup Butter; melted
• 1 Garlic Clove; minced
• Pinch of Salt and Italian Herbs
1. Toss pizza dough until flat and press into a large oval over parchment paper (Kitchenatic’s is my favorite brand and the only one I use).
2. Spread marinara sauce over the center 1/3 of the dough, making sure to leave at least 1/2 inch at the top. This allows the dough to stick to itself when folded over. Top with half of the cheese. Layer Pepperoni over top.
3. Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add a drizzle of oil.
4. Add the Italian Sausage to skillet and cook through then drain and set aside.
5. Add all of the toppings on top of the pepperoni and top with remaining cheese. Gently fold the dough, pushing stray ingredients back in if they pop out. Crimp the edges to seal and score. Cover with towel or plastic wrap and allow 30 minutes to rise.
6. Preheat oven to 375° F.
7. Combine melted butter, garlic, salt and herbs in a small dish. Brush the top of the Calzone with half of the mixture and place in oven; baking for 20 minutes.
8. Check and make sure it’s baking evenly; if it’s browning more on one side turn the tray in the oven to cook the other side. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and brush with remaining melted butter mixture and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
10. Slice and serve with warm marinara or garlic alfredo sauce.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!