Quick lunch before hitting the road again! I made a batch of Italian meatballs yesterday when I made the Swedish Meatballs knowing full well that I’d make Meatball Subs as well as Spaghetti & Meatballs!
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and milk. Allow 3 minutes to absorb.
- In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients, including the soaked breadcrumbs and mix by hand until just combined. Make sure not to over mix or the meatballs will become tough.
- Preheat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle in oil. Allow to get hot while you form meatballs to your desired size. It makes about 2 dozen 1 ½” balls.
- Place meatballs in skillet 8 at a time, making sure not to crowd the pan. Sear on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side, and then place in a baking dish. Pour marinara over top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place meatballs in oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165°F; about 15 minutes.
- Serve in a hoagie or over cooked pasta and top with more cheese!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!