Quick lunch before hitting the road again! I made a batch of Italian meatballs yesterday when I made the Swedish meatballs knowing full well that I’d make Meatball Subs as well as Spaghetti & Meatballs!
Italian Meatball Sub
• 1 lbs 80/20 Ground Beef
• 1 lb Pork Sausage
• 1/4 cup Onion; finely minced
• 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
• 1/4 cup Whole Milk
• 1 large Egg
• Liberal pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian Herbs
• 1/4 teaspoon Basil
• Pinch of Fennel Seeds
• 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
• 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
• 3 cups Marinara Sauce of choice
• 1 cup Mozzarella; shredded
• 1/2 cup Parmesan; shredded
1. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and milk. Allow 3 minutes to absorb.
2. In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients, including the soaked breadcrumbs and mix by hand until just combined. Make sure not to over mix or the meatballs will become tough.
3. Preheat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle in oil. Allow to get hot while you form meatballs to your desired size. It makes about 2 dozen 1 1/2” balls.
3. Place meatballs in skillet 8 at a time, making sure not to crowd the pan. Sear on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side, and then place in a baking dish. Pour marinara over top and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Preheat oven to 375° F and place meatballs in oven. Cook until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 165° F; about 10-12 minutes.
7. Serve in a hoagie or over cooked pasta. Top with more cheese!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!