Happy Mardi Gras, everyone! I made King Cake Pancakes and a King Cake Egg and Sausage Sandwich for breakfast. The cinnamon and maple syrup went so well together! Sweet with a bit of spice. You can’t go wrong with that combination!
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, spices and sugar.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and egg, whisking thoroughly. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in wet ingredients until just combined but still slightly lumpy. Divide the batter into 3 separate bowls and add 3 drops of food coloring to each of the bowls. Gently mix the batter.
- Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Add ½ tablespoon butter to cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once hot, scoop or pour ¼ cup batter and cook until bubbles form on top and the edges no longer have a sheen. Flip and cook 1 minute longer or until golden on the bottom.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup or icing.