Happy Mardi Gras, everyone! I made King Cake Pancakes and a King Cake Egg and Sausage Sandwich for breakfast. The cinnamon and maple syrup went so well together! Sweet with a bit of spice. You can’t go wrong!
Mardi Gras King Cake Pancakes
• 1 1/2 cups Flour
• 3 teaspoons Baking Soda
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
• 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon Ground Clove
• 1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
• 1/4 cup Walnuts; chopped
• 1 1/4 cup Whole Milk
• 1 large Egg
• 3-4 drops each of purple, yellow and green food coloring
• 2 Tablespoons Butter
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, spices and sugar.
2. In a small bowl combine milk and egg, whisking thoroughly.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and mix in egg mixture until just combined but still slightly lumpy. This will prevent over mixed, dense pancakes. Divide into 3 separate bowls and add walnuts and 3-4 drops of each color in each. Gently fold them into batter.
4. Cover; allow to rest for 15-45 minutes in the fridge.
5. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once heated, scoop or pour 1/4 cup batter and cook until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute longer or until golden on the bottom.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle maple syrup or icing over top.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!