One of my favorite southern side dishes! 💕 goes great with dirty rice or, for a healthier alternative, brown rice.
Red Beans and Rice
• 1 lb dried Kidney beans
• 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
• 1 large White Onion; chopped
• 1 small Green Bell Pepper; chopped
• 2 Garlic Cloves; minced
• 1 Celery Stalk; chopped
• 5 1/2 cup Pork, Chicken or Beef Stock
• 1 lb Andouille Sausage; chopped
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
• 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
• 2 cups uncooked Medium Grain Rice
• 3 cups Pork, Beef or Chicken Stock
1. Rinse beans and soak overnight.
2. In skillet, heat bacon grease over medium high heat until melted and add in onions, pepper and celery; cook until translucent then add garlic. Continue to cook until fragrant – about a minute longer.
3. Rinse beans and place in large pot with stock. Stir in vegetables, seasoning and herbs then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F and place slived Andouille on baking tray. Cook for 10 minutes until edges are crispy. Set aside until beans are cooked.
5. Add sausage to rice and cook an additional half hour.
6. In small saucepan, cook rice in remaining stock until tender but not mushy.
7. Serve over rice.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!