One of my favorite southern side dishes! 💕 It goes great with dirty rice or, for a healthier alternative, brown rice.
Louisiana Style Red Beans and Rice
• 1 lb dried Kidney beans
• 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
• 1 large White Onion; chopped
• 1 small Green Bell Pepper; chopped
• 2 Garlic Cloves; minced
• 1 Celery Stalk; chopped
• 5 1/2 cups Pork Stock
• 1 lb Andouille Sausage; chopped
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon Rubbed Sage
• 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
• 2 cups uncooked Medium Grain Rice
• 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- Rinse the beans and soak overnight.
- In a large skillet, heat the bacon grease over medium heat until melted and add in the andouille sausage, onions, peppers and celery. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is crispy then, add the garlic. Continue to cook until fragrant – about a minute longer.
- Rinse beans and place in large stock pot or Dutch Oven with the pork stock. Stir in the sausage, vegetables, seasonings and herbs then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer and cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In medium pot over high heat, add the rice and chicken stock then bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serve the beans over the rice and enjoy!
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these recipes!