I’m making gluten free flour tortillas for Green Chile Chicken Quesadillas tonight. 😊 I’m still new to the whole tortilla game, but they turned out brilliantly!
• 2 cups Flour (I used gluten free but it’s a 1:1 ratio for all-purpose)
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
• 1/4 cup Bacon Grease
• 3/4 cup Hot Water
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and, using your hands, mix in the grease until it has a mealy texture. Continue to knead while slowly pouring in the hot water.
- Flour a large cutting board and turn out the dough, topping with a sprinkle of flour. Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic but still slightly tacky.
- Roll into 10 golf ball sized portions and cover with a damp, clean dish towel. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Roll out each ball to form the tortillas of your desired thickness, keeping in mind that it’ll puff up a little as it cooks.
- Place in the skillet and flip once it starts to bubble and brown on the bottom.
- Once it’s cooked on both sides, place on a foil lined plate with a damp paper towel then cover with foil and cook the remaining tortillas.
- Use for burritos, chimichangas, tacos or quesadillas!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!