I haven’t made Sweet & Sour anything in ages! I decided to try it with beef that I floured and baked in the oven. It came out so delicious! I’m definitely making this again. Soon!
Baked Sweet & Sour Beef
• 2 lbs Beef roast; cut into 1” cubes (marinated in spicy mustard, soy sauce, pepper and minced garlic for 2 hours)
• 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
• 1/2 cup Flour
• 1 teaspoons Sesame Oil
• Pinch of Ginger, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
• 1 cup Bell Pepper; coarsely chopped
• 1 cup Onion; coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup Carrot; chopped
• 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
• 1/2 teaspoon Salt
• 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder
• 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
• 1 can Pineapple Chunks
• 1 C Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1/2 C Soy Sauce
• 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1 tsp Chile Paste
• 1 tsp Ketchup
• 2/3 C Sugar
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
• 1 tsp Garlic; minced
• 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (I prefer Kitchenatic’s brand – it’s sturdier than the other brands I’ve tried).
3. In large bowl, combine peppers, onions, carrots, sesame oil and spices; tossing to coat. Spread them evenly over the parchment paper.
4. In another large bowl, combine all of the beef ingredients and stir until evenly coated with flour and cornstarch. It sometimes helps to toss by hand to make sure all of the sides are coated.
5. Place a wire rack over the vegetables and layer beef evenly over top. Spritz the top with oil and place in oven; baking for 30 minutes, or until beef is crispy on the outside.
6. Meanwhile, heat skillet or wok over medium heat and bring the sauce ingredients to a boil sans the pineapple, soy sauce and cornstarch. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until the beef and vegetables are done.
7. Once the beef is done baking, add pineapple with juices. In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce and cornstarch then add it to the sauce mixture; stirring until thickened.
8. Add beef and vegetables to the sauce over heat and toss to coat.
9. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!