I am not a pastry chef or even a baker, so please bare with me. If you see something I can improve on, please let me know! The baking times were for my little 5” pie, so longer cooking times will be needed for larger ones.
• 1 1/4 C Flour (gluten free mix or A/P)
• 1/4 tsp Salt
• 1 stick of butter
• 6 tbsp ice water
• 5 tbsp frozen butter
1. Place all ingredients in the fridge or freezer until cold. Only remove ingredients as needed!
2. Sift flour and salt into chilled bowl and cut in frozen butter or grate (little easier).
3. Slowly drizzle in cold water, mixing until it forms a dough and doesn’t crumble.
4. Form dough into a 5” square and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or freezer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove dough and roll into a 9×15” sheet on a floured surface. Slice sheets of butter from stick and form a layer over half the dough sheet. Fold the side without butter over the side that does.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll out until flat. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
7. Remove from fridge and fold over again; rolling it back to 9×15”.
8. Repeat twice more; “laminating” thoroughly.
9. Flour the top of the dough and fold in thirds. Wrap in plastic and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
• 2 large onions; thinly sliced
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 garlic cloves; sliced
• 2 tbsp flour
• 2 tbsp cream
• 1/2 C sharp cheddar
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove pastry from fridge and line greased pie plate or tart pan with 1/2 of dough. Press into the sides and poke holes in the bottom with fork. Place pie plate and remaining dough back in the fridge while oven or air fryer preheats.
2. Preheat Oven or Air Fryer to 400 degrees F.
3. Remove pie plate from fridge and line the inside with wax paper; adding beans or pie weights to weigh it down. Bake for 20 minutes or until bottom is cooked through and slightly golden. Set aside. (use this 20 minutes to cut and shape anything you’d like to top the pie with, making sure to chill when the dough gets too warm.)
4. In cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add onions. Cook until tender and translucent.
5. Add in garlic and continue to cook until fragrant. Add in flour and cook and additional 3 minutes.
6. Pour in cream, stirring constantly, and in salt, pepper and cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
7. Add filling to par-baked crust and top with the remaining half sheet of dough, cut off excess. Bake in oven/air fryer for 20 minutes or until crust is cooked through and golden. 8. 8. Let cool 5 minutes and serve!
Looking for a main dish? Try one of these!