Such a great winter weeknight dish! It’s a childhood favorite of mine!
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
1 bag of dried Split Peas
2 quarts chicken broth
2 ham hocks
1 C bacon ends
1 lg onion; diced
2 cloves garlic; minced
3 celery stalks
4 carrots; diced
1 russet potato; peeled and diced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add peas to crock and cover with water; soaking overnight in the fridge.
2. Remove crock from fridge and drain.
3. Pour in broth and add ham hocks, bacon ends, onion, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic and tarragon. Cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Add celery, carrots and potato and cook on high for 30 minutes-1 hour depending on the consistency you prefer. Less time is chunkier, more time is creamier.
5. Remove ham hocks and pull off meat; serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil and crispy bacon.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!