With all the posts about Popeye’s Chicken Sandwiches I was craving a Crispy Bacon Chicken Burger and Animal Fries. The coleslaw was a bit runny, but other than that it was super yummy!
Copycat Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich
• 1 Chicken Breast; pounded to 1 inch and soaked overnight in buttermilk
• 1 large Egg; whisked
• 1 Cup Flour
• 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
• 1 Brioche Bun
• 3 Dill Pickle slices
• 1/4 Cup Coleslaw
• 1 Iceberg Lettuce Leaf
• 2 Fried Onion Rings
• 1 teaspoon Spicy Mayo
• 2 slices Crispy Bacon
1. Dredge chicken through flour, then egg, back in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Repeat one more time for extra crispy crust.
2. Heat Air Fryer to 400°F.
3. Fry chicken until golden and center reaches 165°; Air frying for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
4. Fry onion rings and fries (if you’re making them) until golden and crisp.
5. Transfer chicken to paper towel and start assembling burger. I layered lettuce on the bottom bun, chicken breast, bacon, pickles, onion rings, coleslaw and mayo on top bun.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!