With all the posts about Popeye’s Chicken Sandwiches I was craving a Crispy Bacon Chicken Burger and Animal Fries. The coleslaw was a bit runny, but still incredibly delicious!
Copycat Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich
- 2 Chicken Breasts; pounded to 1″ thickness
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 2 large Eggs; whisked
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Brioche Buns
- 6 Dill Pickle slices
- 1/2 Cup Coleslaw
- 2 Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- 4 Fried Onion Rings
- 2 teaspoons Spicy Mayo
- 4 slices Crispy Bacon
- Add the chicken and buttermilk to a large bowl, cover and soak overnight.
- In 3 shallow dishes, add egg, flour and breadcrumbs. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge through the flour, then the egg, back in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Repeat one more time if you want extra crispy breading.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F.
- Air Fry the chicken until golden brown and the center reaches 165°F; about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer the chicken to a paper towel and start assembling the burger.
- Layer: Lettuce on the bottom bun, chicken breast, bacon, pickles, onion rings, coleslaw and mayo.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!