I’m making one of my favorite leftover dishes with the last little bit of chicken soup I had left! Thickened it up with cornstarch and a splash of heavy cream. Then added some steamed potatoes, corn and peas! Top with corn bread batter! So amazing!
Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie
• 1 quart leftover Chicken Soup or Stew
• 1 medium Russet Potato; peeled, cubed and steamed
• 1/4 Cup Frozen Peas
• 1/4 Cup frozen Sweet Corn
• 1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
• 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
• 1 Tablespoon cold water
• 1 Cup Flour
• 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
• 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
• Large pinch of Salt
• 1 Large Egg
• 1/2 Cup Honey
• 1 Cup Half & Half
• 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat stew in large saucepan over medium until heated through. Add in cream, cooked potatoes, corn and peas.
3. In small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Whisk thoroughly and add to stew mixture; stirring until thickened. Ladle into baking dish and cover; setting aside.
4. In large bowl, combine all of the dry cornbread ingredients together and create a well in the center. Crack in egg and pour in milk and honey.
4. Mix with fork and slowly drizzle in oil until it forms a smooth batter. Drop spoonfuls of batter over chicken stew and place in oven.
5. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and cooked through to the filling. Use a toothpick to check it’s doneness and if it looks like it’s getting too browned on top, cover with foil and continue to bake until done.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these!