Smoked Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Bacon Burgers with homemade French fries and fry sauce. The burgers were stuffed with cheddar and topped with Swiss and the brioche bun was dipped in bacon drippings and broiled until crispy. Oh boy! (And that’s homemade Macaroni Salad in the background).
Whoa Nelly! Burger
• 2 lbs angus beef
• 1/2 Medium white onion; finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic; minced
• 1/4 C Italian breadcrumbs
• 2 tbsp milk
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 C cheddar cheese, cubed
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1/2 medium white onion; sliced
• 1 C mushrooms; sliced
• 5 slices Swiss Cheese
• 2 tbsp bacon grease
• 5 large iceberg lettuce leaves
• 10 slices of Bacon; baked (drippings set aside)
• 1 lg tomato; sliced thinly
• 1/2 C BBQ Sauce & 1/4 C Mayo; combined and chilled
1. Combine all beef patty ingredients in bowl, minus the cheddar. Form into 5 individual patties, wrapping beef mixture around cheddar chunks, flatten and push a dimple the center of each patty.
2. Smoke on high heat until medium rare; 4 minutes, flip, top with Swiss and cook an addition 2-3 minutes. Pull from smoker and rest.
***for baking, bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes, top with cheese and broil 3 minutes. Tent with foil and rest the meat.
3. Caramelize onion slices and mushrooms in skillet With bacon grease, cover and remove from heat.
4. Dredge buns through bacon grease on sheet pan. Broil for 2 minutes until golden.
5. Assemble burger, topping with BBQ Mayo and enjoy!
• 2 large russet potatoes; sliced
• 2 Tbsp cornstarch
• Salt, pepper and smoked paprika to taste
• 2 Cups Olive Oil
1. Soak potato slices in cold water for 30 minutes to remove starch.
2. Heat oil in skillet to 275°.
3. Remove fries from water and pat dry. Toss with cornstarch.
4. Fry for 5 minutes, flipping continually. Remove from heat with slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
5. Increase heat until oil reaches 350°. Fry again for 4-6 minutes or until golden and crispy.
• Scoop on to paper towels and pat excess oil. Transfer to large bowl and toss with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
• Serve with Fry Sauce.