Smoked Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Bacon Burgers with homemade French fries and fry sauce. The burgers were stuffed with cheddar and topped with Swiss and the brioche bun was dipped in bacon drippings and broiled until crispy. Oh boy! (And that’s homemade Macaroni Salad in the background).
Whoa Nelly! Burger
- Beef Patty:
- 2 lbs Angus Beef
- 1/2 medium White /onion; finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic; minced
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium White Onion; sliced
- 1 cup Mushrooms; sliced
- 4 slices Swiss Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- 3 large Lettuce leaves
- 8 slices of Bacon; cooked
- 1 large Tomato; sliced
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo and BBQ Sauce. Mix until well combined, then cover and place in the fridge.
- Combine all beef patty ingredients in bowl. Form into 4 patties between your palms and use your thumb to push a dimple in the center of each patty.
- Preheat smoker to 320°F.
- Smoke for 12 minutes, then flip and top with the Swiss cheese and cook an addition 8 minutes. Transfer the cooked patties to a platter and cover with foil.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon grease. Dredge the buns through the bacon grease and place on a sheet pan. Broil for 2 minutes until golden brown and set aside. Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until tender.
- Assemble the patties, toppings and BBQ Mayo over the bottom bun and add the top bun.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!