This Cinnamon spiced whole chicken roasted inside of a pumpkin was supposed to be a Halloween joke, but it turned out unexpectedly amazing! It went brilliantly with the Wild Rice and Vegetables, Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cake and Cinnamon Roasted Beets.
Cinnamon Spiced Whole Chicken in a Pumpkin
- 1 Fryer Chicken (around 4 lbs)
- 1 Medium Sugar Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, spices and seasonings. Spread it over the inside of the pumpkin and all over the chicken; including under the skin.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken inside of the pumpkin. If it doesn’t fit, you can remove the backbone of the bird. Tent with foil or cover with the top of the pumpkin, making sure you wrap the stem in foil to keep it from burning. Place the pumpkin in a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour and 30 Minutes.
- Remove the foil or the top of the pumpkin roast for 20 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!