First dinner of 2020! The Stromboli’s almost done cooking and I’m so excited! My apartment seriously smells like a pizzeria right now. I’ve never had a Stromboli before and I can’t wait! I was explaining it to a friend and the only thing that came to mind was a meaty, savory cinnamon roll. I’m not so good at describing things. I just wish I had some Genoa Salami and black olives. Next time I want to try Pesto instead of marinara. Sounds delicious!
• Pizza dough; proofed
• 1/2 C Marinara
• 1/2 C Mozzarella
• 1/2 C Parmesan
• 1 lb Pepperoni
• 1/2 lb Spicy Italian Sausage
• 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 1 small Bell Pepper; chopped
• 1 small Red Onion; chopped
• 1 large Tomato; diced
• 1 C Mushrooms: sliced
• 1/4 C Butter; melted
• 1 Garlic Clove; minced
• Pinch of Salt and Italian Herbs
1. Toss pizza dough until flat and press into a rectangle over parchment paper (Kitchenatic’s is my favorite brand and the only one I use).
2. Spread marinara sauce over 2/3 of the dough, making sure to leave 1/2 inch at the top. This allows the Stromboli dough to stick to itself when it’s rolled. Top with half of the cheese. Layer Pepperoni over top.
3. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add oil. Once heated, add bell pepper, onion and mushroom. Saute until tender then remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Add Italian Sausage to skillet and cook through then drain and set aside.
5. Add all of the toppings on top of the pepperoni and top with remaining cheese. Gently roll dough, pushing stray ingredients back in as they pop out. Push the roll away from you until the seam is on the bottom. Score and cover with towel or plastic wrap and allow 30 minutes to rise.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Combine melted butter, garlic, salt and herbs in a small dish. Brush the top of the Stromboli with half of the mixture and place in oven; baking for 20 minutes.
8. Check and make sure it’s baking evenly; if it’s browning more on one side turn the tray in the oven to cook the other side. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and brush with remaining melted butter mixture and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
10. Slice and serve with warm marinara or garlic alfredo sauce and enjoy!