Spaghetti Bolognese is one of my favorite Italian dishes! The tang of the tomatoes, the herbaceous seasonings and the richness of the beef and sausage. So amazing! And all that delicious Parmesan! Served with steamed broccoli; it can’t be beat!
• 2 lbs ground beef
• 1 lb mild Italian Sausage
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 lg onion; diced
• 3 cloves garlic; minced
• 1 C red wine
• 1 C mushrooms; diced
• 1 tsp rosemary; chopped
• 2 tbsp basil; chopped
• 1 tsp oregano; chopped
• 1/2 tsp thyme; chopped
• 3 cans Italian crushed tomatoes
• 1 can tomato paste
• 1 C chicken broth
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 medium Parmesan rind
• 4 servings Spaghetti
• LOTS of grated Parmesan
1. In Dutch oven, brown meat until cooked through. Drain excess fat and set meat aside, returning Dutch oven to the stovetop.
2. Add oil over medium heat and sauté onions until tender. Add in garlic and mushrooms, sautéing an additional 3 minutes. Taste and season accordingly.
3. Add the wine and herbs and a liberal pinch of salt; stirring to incorporate. Add meat back in. Taste and season accordingly.
4. Pour in stewed tomatoes and scoop in tomato paste. Add in Parmesan rind and chicken stock. Taste and season accordingly.
5. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, covered, for 2-3 hours or until flavors marry and the tomatoes have lost their metallic “canned” taste. Taste and season accordingly.
6. Bring stockpot with water to a boil. Add in uncooked spaghetti and several large pinches of salt. Cook until almost al denté.
7. Remove bay leaves and Parmesan rind from sauce. Strain pasta and add to Dutch oven.
8. Cook until pasta is al denté. Plate and cover with loooots of Parmesan!
Looking for side dishes? Try one of these recipes!