It doesn’t look like much, but daaang! I’m so glad I took the time to simmer the sauce! I love Vodka Sauce, but I’d never made it myself. I was craving Italian food and figured I could rectify that! I took some…artistic liberties to suit my preferences. It was delicious! I grew up with frozen microwaved Costco Stuffed Shells and Mushroom Prego, but haven’t had them for many, many years. I really wanted to upgrade a childhood favorite and make it fresh. Using homemade Ricotta ups the flavor and creaminess of the whole dish!
Vodka Sauce Stuffed Shells
• 2 Tbsp Bacon Grease
• 1 Large Onion; finely chopped
• 1/2 C Bell Pepper; diced
• 5 lbs Roma Tomatoes; seeded and chopped
• 1 Tbsp Garlic; minced
• 1 C Mushrooms; diced
• 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
• 1 C Vodka
• 1 can Tomato Paste
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1/4 C Parmesan
• 1 C Heavy Cream
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Large Pasta Shells; par-boiled
• 3 C Ricotta
• 2 Large Eggs; whisked
• 1 tsp Garlic; finely minced
• 1 tsp Basil; finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp Oregano; finely minced
• 1/4 tsp Thyme; finely minced
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
• 1/4 C Parmesan
• 1/4 C Mozzarella
• 1 Tbsp Italian Parsley
1. In dutch oven or large pot, heat bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add in onion, peppers. Sweat until tender and add in garlic; cooking until fragrant.
2. Add vodka, tomato paste and tomatoes then bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and add in bay leaves and pepper flakes. Simmer for 3 hours and use an immersion blender to make it as chunky or smooth as you’d like.
3. Meanwhile, mix stuffed shell filling in a small bowl. Place in fridge until ready.
Add in cream and parmesan and allow to simmer an additional 10 minutes until heated through. Pour sauce in baking dish; reserving 2 cups.
4. Preheat oven to 375°.
5. Fill pasta shells and place in baking dish over sauce. Pour the reserved sauce over shells and sprinkle with parmesan.
6. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
7. Remove foil and add mozzarella; cooking an additional 15- 20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. You can also broil for 3-5 minutes.
8. Serve with salad, garlic bread and steamed veggies!
Looking for a side dish? Try one of these recipes!